Thursday, September 6, 2007

YouTube experience

What do I like or dislike about Youtube? I dislike that there is so much stuff out there! It scares me that people spend so much time posting and viewing this stuff. Personally, I only view a video when it has been recommended to me (shopping penguin), or when I have to find one for a particular work-related reason, such as this one. I don't like spending time looking and listening. I also don't like to watch a lot of television, or listen to the radio (except for baseball and news.) Maybe these things are related. I prefer to be up and about doing something "productive" or at least physical.
I chose the video of the crow because I find crows to be brilliant birds, and this is one further example of how they adapt to their surroundings.
How can Youtube be used on library websites is a mystery to me. Frankly, I would have to spend more time than I am able to give right now to explore the kinds of videos we might be able to use. Instructional videos, maybe. Are there reader's advisory videos? I'm at a bit of a loss here. When I see kids (usually teens) in the library looking at Youtube, I am alternately amused and repulsed at what they view. We had some kids watching very violent "beat down" videos, and this leads to another whole kettle of fish.

No comments: