Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bloglines

This exercise took about an hour to complete. Finding and subscribing to the RSS feeds is easy; getting the information onto my blog via layout changes was not so easy. I tried to make a link in my layout that you could click and get right to the blog roll, but I just can't figure it out. Here is the link: http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=catbird
However, I can't figure out how to make it a hot link.
I like being able to put baseball scores and Pearls Before Swine daily cartoons within really easy reach. I can see putting a bunch of this stuff on My Yahoo, since I am a regular Yahoo user.
Libraries can take advantage of this technology by requiring librarians to subscribe to particular feeds for technology updates. We can also get updated bestseller lists, blogs from other library systems, or blogs from within our own community.
I don't like having a public account for my bloglines; putting personal info. out there for all to read seems to me to be an invitation to nutballs everywhere to respond. People follow links, and they can eventually get back to us. This makes me uncomfortable. I plan to take down this entire blog at the end of the project.

No comments: